If you have decided not to use your Dropbox account anymore, then it is a good idea to delete your account. Here, we will provide you the instructions on how to delete your account and to download the data before you delete your account.
You have to follow the given instructions:
- First, download all your Dropbox files to your computer.
- Then, downgrade your paid Dropbox Pro subscription to a free tier.
- Then, proceed to account deletion.
How to download your Dropbox files?
You are recommended to perform a full sync with your Dropbox to have all your files saved on a computer before closing your account.
- First, open up your Dropbox account by clicking on its app.
- If you don’t have Dropbox apps then, you can download it.
- Then, sign in with your Dropbox account username.
- Enter your correct password to get a sign in your Dropbox account.
- Now, wait until your Dropbox has finished syncing files.
- Please check if all the files have been downloaded by opening Dropbox folder.
How to downgrade your Dropbox pro account?
If you have a paid pro account, then you must cancel your subscription before you delete your account. It will prevent automatic renewal of your account and you won’t have to pay any further renewal charges for that account. By unsubscribing, your file won’t be deleted.
- First, you have to sign in your Dropbox account.
- For this, enter your username first and the password in the login page as shown in the figure.
- Click the sign in button to proceed.
- Then, you have to open the downgrade page.
- In the downgrade page, you have to select the downgrade options.
- The, follow the instructions given on screen.
When you downgrade a paid Pro account, you still finish any time remaining on your current subscription before the Dropbox quota granted by the Pro upgrade expires. You won’t get your money back after canceling a Pro subscription before it expires unless you live in a region where Dropbox is legally required to issue a refund on early cancellation, in which case you can contact Dropbox to get refunded.
How to delete your Dropbox account?
Once you have downgraded your account, you can go to the account deletion tool to delete your account. Here are the simple steps you should follow to delete your account.
- To delete your account, you should visit the account deletion tool on your PC or Mac.
- A message appears asking if you really want to delete your Dropbox account.
- Type the reason why you want to delete your account in the blank box.
- Then, enter your Dropbox password and click on delete my account to proceed the account deletion.
Your account and file data will continue to live on Dropbox servers before being permanently deleted, which takes up to 60 days.
After deleting your Dropbox account, it will leave any previously synced files untouched in the Dropbox folder on your computer, but you won’t be able to add any new files to your Dropbox or restore any files removed from it. The files in folders that you’ve shared with others also will not be removed after closing your account.